Dr. Chet B. Hawkins and our team are proud to offer you high-quality, durable dental care that accommodates and enhances your daily routine. To ensure that you enjoy your dental restorations and oral appliances for many years to come, we encourage you to exercise proper maintenance each day. Please be aware of these tips when you receive new dental work from our dentist:
- Please wear your splint at all times, except when eating. Eventually, you will only need to wear it when you sleep or during times of stress.
- Keep your splint in its case when it’s not in your mouth. Please do not leave it where your dog can reach it, as dogs find splints to be great chew toys.
- Do not leave your splint in your car, where it can be warped by the heat.
- To clean your splint, hold it in the palm of your hand and brush it with a toothbrush.
- Be aware that you will salivate more the first few times you wear your splint.
- If your splint causes you pain, please remove it and contact our dental office.
You may be given a temporary crown while your permanent dental crown is being completed. If so, please use extra care to protect your temporary crown:
- Keep the temporary crown on your tooth at all times to maintain the space where the permanent crown will be placed.
- Avoid sticky, hard, and crunchy food (eg, caramel, popcorn, carrots, gum).
- If the crown comes off, clean it with a soft toothbrush and fill it with a small amount of toothpaste or Vaseline before returning it to your mouth. Contact our office immediately.
If you have any questions about caring for your new dental work, please do not hesitate to call our office at 281-488-4242 to speak with a member of our friendly team. You are also welcome to come visit our dentist in Houston, Texas, for in-depth instructions.